Tuesday, December 23, 2008

BOOKS TO TAKE ON HOLIDAYS

What is the most essential item to take on holidays other than tickets, passport & money? I think a good book comes next, and if I happen not to be currently devouring one, I turn to a few old favourites.

These usually are :
Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien (who couldn't love this masterpiece?)
The complete Fr. Brown short stories by GK Chesterton (brilliant, insightful & highly original)
Emma by Jane Austen (my favourite of her works).

Did you ever see the episode of 'Seinfeld' where George asks Jerry to get back some books of his that are in his ex's apartment. Jerry asks George if he has read them, and upon George's confirming that he has, Jerry says 'So what do you want them back for?' (Or words to that effect. If you don't know the show, I won't bore you with explanations).

Anyway, I have a number of favourite books, which I could easily read once a year with great pleasure, and any of the three above usually find their way into my suitcase. This time as I made a big effort to travel light, it was 'Emma'.

Which I enjoyed, yet again!

3 comments:

Inkpot said...

So I guess you are siding with George instead of Jerry in this instance? I certainly am. :)

As you know, I don't like to be without a book (although I haven't read that many lately :S). I love the fact that I now have books on my iphone. Although I disagree with electronic books on principle, I love having a book with me as long as I have my phone, because sometimes I forget to bring the paper kind.

Valinora Troy said...

I didn't realise that the iphone was a digital book as well! I must get one!

Inkpot said...

you must. you will never need another gadget. Join us...